Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Home

Home. I think most MKs – all TCKs, for that matter – will agree that ‘home’ is an elusive concept. What is ‘home’, really?

A lot of people try to define ‘home’ in various ways: “Home is where your heart is” “Home is where your rump rests”…etc. But in a practical sense, what is ‘home’? Where you were born? Where you spent the most time? Where your family is? Where you live at the present moment? None of these really seem to work for me – I was born in Kenya, but never lived there; I spent 14 years in Tanzania and love it, but the people I love most are no longer there; my parents are missionaries in Germany, but they’ll be in Arkansas for a year; I currently don’t ‘live’ anywhere. So where is my home?

Philippians 3:20 states it rather nicely: “But our citizenship is in heaven…” As a follower of Christ, I know that my true home is in heaven and that my true self is not of the flesh, but spiritual. Praise God that I don’t need to know where my ‘home is on this earth because I am not of this world – I’m an alien, baby, a citizen of Heaven.

1 comment: