Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Prayer

I could count the ways I love You far too quickly. It takes much more time to count the ways I should love You but can't, want to love You but don't, dream of loving You but something is always in the way. I am always in the way.

If my love were pure I would love You in patience, waiting for Your timing, being slow to anger, and actually thinking before I act. I would love You in kindness, speaking truth and encouragement into the lives of others, and loving in my actions even more so than words. I would love You in humility, in placing others above and before myself. I would love You in hoping and protecting and persevering and trusting and always seeing the good and beautiful. I would put to death the self that envies, boasts, is arrogant and rude, and seeks the best for me alone.

The ways I love are minimal, the ways I should and wish to love abound.

Teach me how to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment