Wednesday, November 18, 2009

glimpses and blurbs...

I don't have the time or the mental capacity at the moment to put together a well-written piece of bloggage. So I'm just going to copy some things from my journal to give you some glimpses of and blurbs about my thoughts and experiences recently...

About a week ago our team went to see Donald Miller speak in Pasadena. He spoke about stories and life and living a compelling story. A story is a character who wants something and overcomes conflict to get it. We are all characters. Unique characters. And we all want something. The fact is, however, that a lot of times what we want isn't worthwhile - it isn't something an audience would clap for. The "secret ingredient" to living a compelling story is to want something meaningful. Not a car or money or chocolate cake (well...maybe the cake), but rather to live like Jesus - to feed the hungry, clothe the poor, heal the broken, love the unloved...no matter what we want, there will be conflict. The trick is to want something that makes the conflict worth it.

---

"This is a call to action, to make the world a better place in His holy name. Reach out and heal the broken, feed the hungry, clothe the poor. That's what love is for. It's not enough to testify with words. Reach out in love and the message will be heard." ~ Dutton Band

At Simple Feast on Sunday one of the men said to me, "We shouldn't have to tell people we're Christians - they should be able to tell by the way we live." True story. Let's live it out.

---

When I need encouragement, God bombards me with it. Through Leroy at our commissioning service and church, through Jenni during our one-on-one, through a homeless man I met at Simple Feast.
This man had a story that broke my heart: he was robbed, arrested, had a drinking problem, his sister died...but he said he should be able to get home soon because he'll be getting unemployment status and will receive money from that. He was blessed by my willingness to listen and I in turn was blessed by him. He said that he could see in my eyes that the Lord had blessed and called me and that there was a glow about me. It was so encouraging.

---

I love you all so much. Thank you for your continual prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment