Monday, September 28, 2009

always learning

Last week, my second week at my service site, was....frustrating. The thing about working with the Children's Ministry is that the ministry part really only takes place on Sunday. The rest of the week is preparation - organizing, photocopying, researching, planning...definitely not relational. And definitely not what I'm here for. So I was frustrated. And close to tears a couple of mornings. I'll hopefully be starting at another service site this coming week and things will become more concrete and routine...

Saturday was a joyful day filled with sidewalk chalk, snow cones, snoopy comics, and flute/guitar improvisation. It was an encouraging day and I praise God for that. He definitely used that day to lift my spirits.

The other night I was thinking about how much I'm learning about the way I see people and the way I should see people. I'm learning to love people for who they are, no matter where they've been or what they've done. I'm learning to love them because I see Jesus in them, not because they are broken and need to be fixed. I am broken, we are broken, and we all need to heal, to heal each other and depend on one another. We are all made in the image of God and if we learn to release ourselves from the chains of judgement, self-righteousness, comfort, status quo, social boundaries - we can see Jesus in everyone. We can see him in the devotion of a homeless couple who stick together even when things would be easier if they separated, in the creativity of a homeless artist, in the contentedness of those who once lived in abundance and now have nothing. When Jesus hung out with tax collectors, prostitutes, and sinners, He wasn't hanging out with tax collectors, prostitutes, and sinners - He was hanging out with His friends, beloved children of God.

1 comment:

  1. Hey beautiful!

    Been there, totally understand. (Wait, this isn't what I came here for.) Hope you find yourself in a service project that fits, or for the Lord to give you peace working in the children's ministry.

    ReplyDelete